Aggression in Dogs: Defensive Handling and Training (Buffalo, NY)
Cancelled due to Coronavirus
- Are you currently working with aggressive dogs or have an interest in learning more about how to safely work with aggressive dogs?
- Would you like to learn hands-on defensive handling skills?
- Do you want to add more to your toolbox for modifying aggressive behavior in dogs?
Michael Shikashio, CDBC and Trish McMillan MSc, CPDT-KA, ACCBC, CDBC will be presenting a two-day workshop on safety, defensive handling, and the behavior modification techniques used with aggressive dogs.
Attendees will learn what is needed before working with aggressive dogs, gain hands-on experience in defensive handling and leash skills, and see videos of behavior modification in aggression cases.
This workshop is open to all trainers, behavior consultants, veterinarians, shelter staff, animal control officers, or anyone interested in learning more about dog aggression and how to stay safe.
- Understand the ramifications for dog bites
- What to know before taking aggression cases
- Canine body language including precursors to aggression
- What to do BEFORE meeting with clients
- Additional safety measures to have in place
- Safety and management equipment
- How to take dogs in and out of kennels safely
- Initial greetings in aggression cases with video examples
- Defensive handling and leash skills including leash locks, muzzle wraps, back ties, accordion leash holds, and more
- What to do if attacked by a dog
- Presentation of case studies with video of dog to human aggression and how to choose appropriate tools and techniques
- Dog-dog interactions with video examples
- Canine body language in dog-dog interactions including precursors to aggression
- How to introduce dogs to each other in shelter and home environments
- How to safely break up a dog fight
- Leash handling skills when working dog-dog cases
- Shelter dog playgroups
- Shelter dog assessments
- What to do with off leash dogs that approach the dog you’re handling
- Presentation of case studies with video of dog to dog aggression and how to choose appropriate tools and techniques
300 Harlem Rd
West Seneca, NY 14225
Trish McMillan is a certified professional dog trainer (through CCPDT), certified dog behavior consultant and associate certified cat behavior consultant (through IAABC) who holds a Master’s degree in Animal Behavior from the University of Exeter in England. She specializes in training and beha
Michael Shikashio, CDBC, is the past president of the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC), and provides private consultations working exclusively with dog aggression cases through his business Complete Canines LLC.